Sunday, January 10, 2010

Canada Scarf

So I finally found the red fleece I was hunting for at Old Navy, already in scarf form.  All I had to do was add the maple leaf (luckily acceptable white fleece was not as hard to find as red).  It was my first applique attempt and it went something like this:

Find a maple leaf pattern (via Google Pictures) and create paper pattern.



Cut one out of fleece.



Cut another out of Stitch-Witchery.



Arrange the applique pieces on the scarf (Stitch-Witchery in between!) where you would like them and iron to set.  Sew around the edge of the applique with a medium zig-zag and short stitch length.

P1100059

Admire how nicely the back turned out and puzzle over why the picture of the back turned out so differently then the one of the front when all I did was turn the scarf over (really, that's it! Same camera settings, same location).



Take the scarf out for a test run.



Or rather, a test skate.



It's been over 6 years since I was skating and it was nice to get on the ice again.  Something I've been meaning to do for the last few (or probably 6) winters.  My sister and I walked to a neighbourhood rink (outdoors as you can tell) and had the "little rink" to ourselves.  Luckily she is a much better skater then I am and was willing to skate around with me and then help me stop before she let go!  Hopefully we'll go again this winter.  After I buy myself a pair of skates. (I'm wearing an old pair of my sister's skates and as her feet are a size smaller then mine my toes weren't so happy.)  Oh good!  Another thing to enjoy in January.

2 comments:

  1. Cute scarf! Perfect for the upcoming Olympics... hooray for Canada (from a fellow Canadian).

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, the husband (canadian) & son (also canadian) must have one of these.

    ReplyDelete